Wednesday 23 January 2013

Unit 117 - Surface Patterns (Ongoing)

In the surface pattern making unit I had to explore various methods of producing a pattern.



Before I began experimenting with pattern designs. I drew a couple of observational drawings. This piece is a development from my primary recording of a temple's roof.


Within this unit I was required to create a final outcome consisting of a pattern. I looked towards a quite complex traditional Asian pattern path, looking at dragon scales and Japanese woodblock prints. This journal page looks at one of my development pieces, as I produced a mono-print of a dragon. From which I will grab a small section of scales and attempt to create a pattern from it.


I also looked at traditional Japanese woodblock printing and attempted to replicate the Great Wave of Kanagawa with a lino block. These are my most successful prints ranging between the final outcome and unfinished progress pieces.


I then scanned my prints into my computer, to trace them on Adobe Illustrator. Once I created a vector file from my print, I then used the sublimation printer and heat press to print my design onto different surfaces. I tested this process on acrylic, wood and fabrics.


For this unit I also created a moire pattern, to test on the sublimation printer.



I printed two different offset patterns on separate pieces of acrylic, so the moire pattern could be altered by hand.

1 comment:

  1. Please elucidate on whatever differences in geometry there are (if any) for the two base patterns you show in the figure immediately preceding this comments section.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete