Wednesday 23 January 2013

Unit 38 - Mixed Media Image Making in Art and Design

In this unit I explored various mixed media processes, to eventually arrive at two different final graphic outcomes.



This final piece is my response to my well chosen example. I looked at the texture created by Rotella and tried to replicate a similar effect through the use of decollage.


This double journal page looks at the development of my collograph block design. I chose a theme, then drew four designs based on this theme. My blocks focus on the abstract textures created from the chosen materials, rather than a literal meaning. Once I had chosen my design, I then tested different materials and processes. The two main examples, that I tested was a traditional chinese pocket money envelope and the use of engraving through the laser cutter.



After I had chosen my final design and tested various materials and processes, I made my block. This is my final block after being used for printing. Within my block I used, tissue paper, ink, sandpaper, chinese pocket money envelopes, scrim and used the laser cutter to engrave into my block.



These are my two most successful prints, as there is a perfect amount of ink applied to the printing blocks, allowing the textures of the print to come through.



Once I had created enough successful prints, I scanned them in and began to play around with the design, using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.


The first project within this professional unit was to create a poster, a magazine cover and a flyer, by incorporating my collograph print. To do so I looked at some well chosen examples of each outcome, then began to develop my poster design in Adobe Illustrator. Using vector files, I could ratio down the size, to a more manageable scale.


Once I had created my final poster design, I decided to base my flyer on the poster to create an equilibrium between the two, as many advertising posters and flyers would. However I created a different magazine design, using the same title design.


This is my final flyer design, which is an abstract, close-up view of the poster design. I find it extremely successful, as I use the textures from the final prints within the design to create an interesting surface quality.



Our second project within this unit was to create a Hong Kong Tourism Board poster. I went through a similar design process, beginning with a piece of art, in this case a lino block, then applying reproduction processes to the art piece. Using red and white as my base colours, as they are the colours of the Hong Kong flag.



Within this piece, I decided to go for a more literal meaning, as it is intended to attract visitors. I did this by using the most iconic feature of Hong Kong, its unique skyline. I touched up my original print on Photoshop, creating cleaner block colours and straightening the lines. Then created my own font on Illustrator, based on traditional Chinese ink characters. Then finally overlaid a red pocket money envelope behind the red sections of the print, to incorporate a traditional feel to the poster.

No comments:

Post a Comment